Blisland Parish Council regards the promotion of health, safety and welfare as an essential objective. It therefore recognises and accepts the requirement for providing, so far as is reasonably practicable, a safe and healthy workplace and a safe working environment for employees and further accepts its responsibility for the health and safety of other people who may be affected by the Council’s activities.
The Council will do everything reasonable in its power to comply with both the spirit and the letter of legal duties imposed on it, both civil and criminal, and will endeavour as far as practicable to be an example of good practice.
The Council undertakes to:
- Provide a safe and healthy working environment including safe systems of work;
- Provide a health and safety organisation to effectively manage and monitor the safety arrangements;
- Increase the awareness of all employees to the responsibility for the health and safety of themselves and others;
- Ensure a systematic approach to risk assessment and control;
- Ensure that adequate resources, including the provision of competent personnel, are available to implement this policy;
- Provide and maintain plant, equipment, tools and safely manage the circumstances in which they are used to meet appropriate statutory requirements;
- Ensure safe handling, storage and use of chemicals and substances hazardous to health;
- Ensure the provision of such information, instruction and training as is necessary;
- Ensure that all staff are aware of their responsibilities and that they cooperate to achieve these aims; and
- Report and investigate all accidents and near misses to actively prevent accidents and cases of work related ill-health.
Blisland Parish Council recognises that no safety policy can be successful without the active participation of employees. It will therefore make and maintain suitable arrangements for consultation on matters of health, safety and welfare.
The allocation of responsibilities for health and safety matters and the particular arrangements which will be used to implement the policy are set out in the Council’s Risk Assessments.
This policy will be kept up to date, taking into account any change in the nature of the business, the introduction of new working methods, practices and statutory instruments. To this end, the policy and management systems will be reviewed annually.
This policy was adopted by Blisland Parish Council in May 2019.